Springtime Layered Omelette
This omelette layer 'cake' features a different vegetable in each layer and is as delicious as it looks.
- Prep time: 20 min
- Makes: 6
- Cook time: 10 min
- Calories 103
- Fat 4 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 12 mg
- Carbohydrate 6 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 17 g
- Sodium 386 mg
- Potassium* 190 mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
- 8 Island Gold Free Run Omega-3 shell eggs
- Island Gold Free Run Omega-3 shell eggs
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml chopped and blanched asparagus
- chopped and blanched asparagus
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml finely chopped red pepper
- finely chopped red pepper
- 1/3 cup / 75 ml green peas, thawed if frozen
- green peas, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
- plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup / 50 ml softened cream cheese
- softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup / 50 ml each finely chopped basil leaves and green onion
- each finely chopped basil leaves and green onion
- 1 tsp / 5 ml finely grated lemon zest
- finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp / 1 ml each salt and pepper (approx.)
- each salt and pepper (approx.)
- 1 1/2 cup / 375 ml baby arugula
- baby arugula
- 1 tsp / 5 ml each extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice
- each extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice
- Spray an 8-inch (20 cm) non-stick skillet with cooking spray*; set over medium heat. Beat the eggs in a bowl and pour in about 2/3 cup (150 mL) of the egg mixture to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until just beginning to set. Swirl the pan to coat evenly. Sprinkle the asparagus over the top. Cook, covered, for 2 minutes or until set. Loosen the edges and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggs, red pepper and peas to make 2 additional omelettes.
- Meanwhile, stir the yogurt with the cream cheese, basil, green onion, lemon zest, salt and pepper until smooth. Spread half of the yogurt mixture onto two of the omelettes. Stack the omelettes on top of each other with the 'unfrosted' omelette on top. Serve immediately or cover and reserve in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, toss the arugula with the oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper to taste. Pile the salad onto the center of the omelette stack. Slice into wedges.
- To blanch the asparagus, cook in boiling, salted water for 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Change the vegetables in the omelettes to suit your taste; try using mushrooms, spinach, or zucchini.