Savoury Easter Egg Torta
A healthy gourmet version of "green eggs and ham."
- Prep time: 10-15 min
- Makes: 8
- Cook time: 30-40 min
- Calories 381
- Fat 22 g
- Saturated Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 245 g
- Carbohydrate 23 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Protein 22 g
- Sodium 690 mg
- Potassium* 78 mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
- 2 Deep Dish pie shells
- Deep Dish pie shells
- 9 Island Gold Veggie Fed shell eggs
- Island Gold Veggie Fed shell eggs
- 1 pound / 450 g lean ground pork
- lean ground pork
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp / 5 ml dried thyme leaves
- dried thyme leaves
- 3/4 tsp / 3.75 ml salt
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml each black pepper and fennel seeds
- each black pepper and fennel seeds
- 3/4 cup / 175 ml chicken broth
- chicken broth
- 3 tbsp / 45 ml tomato paste
- tomato paste
- 1/2 package / 375 g frozen spinach, about 16 nuggets thawed and squeezed dry
- frozen spinach, about 16 nuggets thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml plain potato flakes
- plain potato flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Cover 6 eggs with cold water in a small saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat; cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Immediately drain water and place eggs in a cold-water bath for 1 minute. Peel and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble in pork; add garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and fennel seeds. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in broth and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until combined and heated through. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Mix spinach, potato flakes and 2 eggs into pork mixture until well combined. Spread 1/3 of mixture evenly over base of pie shell. Arrange cooked eggs, on their side, in a ring around pie. Top with remaining pork mixture.
- Remove remaining pie shell from pan and place over filling. Crimp edges to seal; slash three vent holes in pastry. Beat remaining egg and brush evenly over pastry. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is heated through. Cool slightly.