Gourmet Steak and Egg Sandwich
Surprise your family with this hearty open-faced sandwich on any day you want to treat them.
- Prep time: 20 min
- Makes: 2 to 4 servings
- Cook time: 20 min
- Calories 405
- Fat 14 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 240 g
- Carbohydrate 33 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 30 g
- Sodium 694 mg
- Potassium* 624 mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
- 1 strip loin or top sirloin steak (about 10 oz / 300 g)
- strip loin or top sirloin steak (about 10 oz / 300 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp / 7 ml no salt added Montreal steak spice, divided
- no salt added Montreal steak spice, divided
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml each salt and pepper, divided
- each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 tsp / 10 ml olive oil, divided
- olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- medium onion, sliced
- 8 oz / 250 g sliced cremini or white mushrooms
- sliced cremini or white mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml chopped fresh parsley
- chopped fresh parsley
- 4 Island Gold Free Run Omega 3 shell eggs
- Island Gold Free Run Omega 3 shell eggs
- 1/2 ciabatta baguette, halved and sliced open
- ciabatta baguette, halved and sliced open
- Rub the steak with 1 tsp (5 mL) steak spice and half each salt and pepper. Set aside. Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and remaining steak spice, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Stir in parsley; scrape into a bowl and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill or a grill pan to medium. Grill the steak for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until of preferred doneness. Transfer to a plate and rest for 5 minutes. Toast the baguettes, cut-side-down, on the grill until golden.
- Meanwhile brush the skillet with the remaining oil. Break in the eggs and cook, for 2 to 3 minutes or until whites are set but yolks are still runny. Thinly, slice the steak and divide between the baguette halves; top with mushroom mixture and a fried egg.
- Replace the ciabatta baguette with hoagie rolls or a demi-baguette.
- Use a well-seasoned cast iron skillet to prepare the mushrooms and eggs on your outdoor grill by setting the skillet on the grate alongside the steak.
- For an indulgent garnish, drizzle the sandwiches with a spicy mayonnaise drizzle made using 3 tbsp (45 mL) light mayonnaise, 1 tsp (5 mL) Louisiana-style hot sauce and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) steak spice.