Dark Chocolate Pound Cake
This rich, moist cake is a great entertaining staple.
- Prep time: 25 min
- Makes: 15
- Cook time: 8 min
- Calories 361
- Fat 19 g
- Saturated Fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 82 mg
- Carbohydrate 47 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 32 g
- Protein 5 g
- Sodium 186 mg
- Potassium* 125 mg
- Calcium 25 mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
- 1 3/4 cup / 425 ml all-purpose flour
- all-purpose flour
- 1 cup / 250 ml unsweetened cocoa
- unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp / 2 ml each baking powder and salt
- each baking powder and salt
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml sour cream
- sour cream
- 3 tbsp / 45 ml hot water
- hot water
- 2 tsp / 10 ml each instant espresso and vanilla extract
- each instant espresso and vanilla extract
- 1 cup / 250 ml softened butter
- softened butter
- 2 cup / 500 ml granulated sugar
- granulated sugar
- 4 Island Gold Free Run Omega 3 eggs
- Island Gold Free Run Omega 3 eggs
- 1 cup / 250 ml dark chocolate chips
- dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and flour a Bundt pan. Sift the flour with the cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside. Stir hot water with espresso and vanilla in a small bowl. Whisk in sour cream; set aside.
- Beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar and beat for 2 minutes or until very light and fluffy. Gradually beat in eggs. On low speed, alternately add the cocoa and sour cream mixtures in three additions, scraping the bowl as needed. Mix just until uniformly combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool for 20 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a plate. Cool completely before slicing.
- Replace the sour cream with plain yogurt (at least 2% milk fat or higher).
- Replace the instant espresso with 1 tbsp (15 mL) instant coffee.
- Garnish cake with a dusting of icing sugar.
- Add an Espresso Glaze by combining 1 tsp (5 mL) instant espresso with 3 tbsp (45 mL) boiling water and 1 tbsp (15 mL) softened butter. Blend in 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar until smooth and pourable (add extra water if needed). Pour over cake and let stand until set.