Classic Cinnamon Buns
- Prep time: 20 min
- Makes: 8 buns
- Cook time: 20 min
- Calories 520
- Fat 22 g
- Saturated Fat 13 g
- Cholesterol 125 mg
- Carbohydrate 71 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 92 g
- Protein 10 g
- Sodium 360 mg
- Potassium* 150 mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
- 1/4 cup / 50 ml granulated sugar, divided
- granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup / 50 ml warm water
- warm water
- 2 tsp / 10 ml traditional active dry yeast
- traditional active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup / 50 ml unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 Island Gold Free Run Omega 3 eggs
- Island Gold Free Run Omega 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml milk, at room temperature
- milk, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cup / 825 ml all-purpose flour (approx.)
- all-purpose flour (approx.)
- 1 tsp / 5 ml salt
- Filling and Egg Wash:
- 1/3 cup / 75 ml softened, unsalted butter
- softened, unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml packed brown sugar
- packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml ground cinnamon
- ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Island Gold Free Run Omega 3 eggs, yolk only
- Island Gold Free Run Omega 3 eggs, yolk only
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml water
- Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- 1/4 cup / 50 ml cream cheese
- cream cheese
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml unsalted butter
- unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup / 150 ml icing sugar
- icing sugar
- Dough: In a stand mixer bowl, dissolve 1/2 tsp/2 ml of the sugar in the water; stir in yeast and let stand for 5 minutes or until frothy. Whisk in butter and remaining sugar. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, followed by milk. Add flour and salt to bowl.
- Using a dough hook attachment; mix on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and run mixer for 2 minutes. (The dough will be sticky but should have pulled away from the sides of the bowl). Turn onto a floured surface and knead 10 to 15 more times to bring dough together.
- Transfer dough to a large clean, oiled bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out dough into a rectangle, about 11 x 15 inches/28 x 38 cm in size.
- Filling and Egg Wash: Spread dough with butter, leaving a 1/2-inch/1 cm border on all edges. Blend brown sugar with cinnamon and salt; sprinkle over butter. Roll up dough from the short edge; trim ends and slice into 8 equal portions.
- Place, cut-side-up and spaced apart, in a parchment paper-lined 9 x 13 inch/3 L baking dish. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until puffed and rolls are just touching each other. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Blend egg yolk with water, brush over exposed areas of dough. Bake buns for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden.
- Cream Cheese Drizzle: In a medium, heat-proof bowl, warm cream cheese with butter in the microwave on High for 15 seconds or until softened. Gradually whisk in icing sugar until a pourable glaze forms. Spoon over buns while still warm.
- Prep Time is 2 hours, 20 minutes when factoring in dough rising time of 2 hours
- No stand mixer? Combine ingredients by hand stirring until a sticky dough forms. Transfer to a floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes or until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (adding a little extra flour as needed).
- To make ahead, once cinnamon buns are shaped and placed in baking dish; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature for 45 to 60 minutes before baking.